Pages

Saturday, June 9, 2012

Surprise Yourself

A few days ago I overheard my husband telling one of our daughters to surprise herself. With question signs splashed across my forehead, I turned to him and asked for clarity. "well, you should try and do something that you never thought you could do, exceed your own expectations," he explained.



Hmm!My brain kicked into high gear. That is a profound statement. Personally, I am not one for surprises. I like to have everything laid out! No ifs, ands or buts!

However, surprising myself would be exhilarating. Just imagine if I were to produce the next best seller! That would indeed be a spectacular surprise.

What if you were to graduate at the top of your class?
How about landing that executive position that you thought was out of your league?
Hey, what about winning the MVP trophy?

Surprising one's self requires special attention to what matters most. The rewards will not come through sheer daydreams and meer chance. Instead, the rewards will come after we have made a conscious effort to hone our skills, after we have made a commitment to burn the proverbial midnight oil and after we have decided to stay on course despite the distractions.

At the end of the day would we really be surprised?
Really?

I believe the biggest surprise will be our realization that this dream-this goal-was obtainable years ago.

Wow, what a surprise!

No comments:

Post a Comment